Outdoors in Orange Beach and Gulf Shores, Alabama
(For your first time visit to Orange Beach and Gulf Shores)
What a beautiful sunny day to visit Orange Beach and Gulf Shores Alabama! Michael and I don’t get much time off together so we take advantage of time well spent. When I was a kid, I spent countless summers at these beaches. It has grown up nicely. Each year, since 2010, The Hangout Festival takes place in May. The money brought in from this concert has fueled the economy and helped with the BP oil spill efforts.
If this is your first time visit to Orange Beach and Gulf Shores, you are in for a surprise! Alabama has amazing beaches!
Let’s jump right in! Here are our favorite things to do Outdoors in Orange Beach and Gulf Shores, Alabama.
ORANGE BEACH: Flora-Bama
- Flora-Bama-We spent a day gallivanting around the Gulf Coast of Alabama.We drove from Pensacola, FL and crossed the bridge from Perdido Key into Orange Beach first. Our first stop was the (not-so-small-anymore) Flora-Bama. Constructed on the Florida-Alabama state lines, you can drink bushwhackers (4 oz cream of coconut, 2 oz Kahlua® coffee liqueur, 1 oz Bacardi® black rum, 1 oz creme de cacao, 4 oz half-and-half, 1 scoop vanilla ice cream), dance & sing to your heart’s content, then pass out on the beach after a night of revelry.
If you get “bushwacked” your bra may end up on the clothesline and the “bounce of shame commences”. (Not that I have any experience with this) There are now 3 or 4 bars that make up this establishment. Kenny Chesney and Jimmy Buffett have sang about this fun house.
Lastly, The annual Interstate Mullet Toss takes place here. Yes, we toss mullet (the fish not the bad hairstyle) across the state lines and get rewarded for throwing furthest!
To make vacation more fun, here are our favorite games to play at the beach!
GULF SHORES: The Hangout, Pink Pony Pub, Shopping
2. The Hangout-Continuing our drive into Gulf Shores, AL, we drove by full-glass condos and colorful beach houses. We caught glimpses of the emerald waters between these colorful homes. We arrived at our destination, The Hangout.
We visited during the off season, which for locals is a nice reprieve from the hoards of tourists that bombard the beach over the summer months. Usually, The Hangout is packed inside and out with diners, bar hoppers, and outdoor game players. There are also fire pits and basket huts on the lawn, for those romantic beachy nights. Take a stroll along the shore and gather souvenirs from the beach for your journey home.
3. Pink Pony Pub-Next to The Hangout stands the Pink Pony Pub which has been around since 1956. It is a bright bubblegum pink color and cannot be missed. Most nights, I end up singing karaoke in the smoke-filled bar after too many drinks.
On our way to our last stop, we passed the Oyster House and the newer shopping malls attached. Here you will find local artisans and fresh seafood.
4. LuLu’s-Once at Lulu’s restaurant, we enjoyed views from the marina and watched boaters pass by. Some boaters docked to the pier of the restaurant for a bite to eat after fishing. What a life to live! It’s a beachy atmosphere complete with Hurricane shutters and garage-style doors that allow for an open air restaurant as weather permits. Lucy Buffett, Jimmy Buffett’s sister, owns the restaurant and live music venue. Also, for cute shirts and beach gadgets, this Amazon page is a haven!
You may also enjoy these beachy posts:
5. The Wharf-Lastly, for the music lovers and concert goers, The Wharf is the place to be! We have seen the Dave Matthews Band, Jason Mraz, and King’s of Leon here! Rain or shine the venue is ideal. There are shops, restaurants, and a Ferris wheel to keep you busy until the show starts. With annual beer fests and an ongoing array of genres performing, there is something here for YOU too!
6. Tanger Outlets-**Other interests not pictured: The Tanger Outlet Center. A visitor’s shopping haven, this outdoor mall has discounts in every store!
7. The Track-Lastly, if you are traveling with children or are an adult child yourself, you should stop by the Track. This is an indoor arcade with a large outdoor goKart track.
8. Waterville USA- Waterville USA water park resides in Gulf Shores as well for added fun to your beach getaway. I hope you enjoyed our things to do Orange Beach and Gulf Shores, Alabama!
RESTAURANTS & BARS WE LOVE:
Doc’s Seafood-Best Gumbo
Oyster House-Fresh Seafood
Ruby Slipper-New Orleans’ style Brunch
Brick & Spoon-Great Brunch spot
- Big Beach Brewing- A new brewery est in 2016, this brew house looks like something out of Southern Living Magazine, ya’ll!
Outdoors in Orange Beach and Gulf Shores, Alabama are both great escapes to leave your worries behind and engage in a bit of sea therapy. We hope you enjoy your first time visit to Orange Beach and Gulf Shores!
Like, Comment, Share!
Be Well and Travel Often!
*This is not a sponsored post, all opinions are my own**
Need money to travel?
Join our newsletter to get our FREE AIRBNB CODE and Travel On!